Friday, January 1, 2010

About Farewell, My Subaru


Is your New Year's resolution to live a more green lifestyle? If it is (or even if it isn't) stop into your local branch and check out a copy of January's Featured Book of the Month, Farewell, My Subaru: An Epic Adventure in Local Living by Doug Fine. The book details Fine's attempts to live locally and reduce his dependence on oil, all while keeping his modern conveniences. In the author's words,

"This ia a book of carbon-neutral carnage, about my attempts to kick oil while still living like an American. Farewell, My Subaru is the account of everything that can go wrong (and then right) when a regular guy tries to get oil out of his life. It details, among other embarrassing (but, my editor insists, inspiring) realities: coyotes eating my chickens, my near-death due to clumsiness during solar panel installation, and my suffering from Extreme Munchies thanks to the exhaust of my new carbon-neutral, vegetable oil-powered R.O.A.T. (Ridiculously Oversized American Truck). Hence the title of the book – I had to ditch the ol’ reliable Subaru in favor of a diesel. But for all the mishaps, I have reduced my electric bill by 80% and no longer need gas stations to drive. All while keeping my Netflix, my Internet, my fridge, washing machine, and most of all, my booming subwoofers."

For more information about the book visit Doug Fine's website. Be sure to check out your copy today, check back here to discuss the book, then visit the Main Library on February 6 at 2pm to meet Doug Fine.

No comments: